Our focus is on creating art that brings believability to film and stage productions, a better work environment to your employees, as well as invites customers to come in and do business with you. Art can create a desirable destination in a mundane world. Think back to how great art created favorite places in your past. We strive to create real world art that causes your audiences, employees and customers to want to come back to you for a rewarding experience. We love taking on any and all visual design challenges that our current projects schedule will allow. Or we can put you into our calendar que. In addition to remarkable artistic talent amongst our team members, we can boast a state of the art shop that allows us to produce one of a kind art and signage and stage dressing that is much more affordable than you would imagine. You don't have to be a Rockefeller to commission our work. Take one of our recent projects, at ADP, for example. Employing trompe l'oeil (deceive the eye) techniques, as well as shop fabricated art components we created a common area indoor space that chases away the winter blues. An indoor forest if you will, a relaxing space that allows employees to take a break and get back to work with more energy. Give us your challenge, you won't be disappointed.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Soundtrax 2 Recovery

Recently I got a call from Michael McLean the celebrated LDS composer and, yeah, close personal friend.  I had completed a piece of design for him last year for his "Threads" album and tour.
I don't recall which font Deseret Book ended up going with.  Whatever it was Michael loved it.
    I picked up the phone and he was like "Jase!  My main man!  What's the stuff, cream puff?" and I was like "Mike!  What's up m'nerd?!"  After catching up he asked if I'd like a little work designing a new promotional poster for a new album he and his friend John Batdorf had put together.  It was an album geared toward helping and inspiring struggling folks.  After working through a few ideas this is the one we settled on.

You know how ice skaters make streaking across the ice backwards with one leg in the air while holding a lady over their heads with one arm look easy? (and, you know, it's not.)
   I wonder if this is like that.  Does it look easy?  'cause, it wasn't.  Especially for me, who never aspired to the lofty realms of graphic designer-hood. (mostly because I need to stay true to my artistic principles and am not interested in superficial things like money and food for my children)
  But what do you say to someone when you need work and they offer you something tuff?
"Pshhh!  Sure, I can do that.  Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!"
 
    I just typed out everything that might go on the poster and then began moving and cropping and stretching and smashing.
    One thing I try to be conscious of at all times is where the eye is wandering to and then trying to control that through hue (color) and value (how light or dark something is).
    So while I hope the whole piece has a very random type of texture to it there is actually a lot of order imposed on it.  Michael and John seemed pretty happy.  If anybody sees a poster out there steal one for me.

1 comment: